Nsa Sra da Gloria do Outeiro Church
Ever since 1670, on top of outeiro (or knoll)there had been a small rustic church built by Antonio Caminha on a prime spot as viewed by ships sailing into Guanabara Bay, highlighting Rio de Janeiro's landscape.
Besides its beautiful location and popularity as a worshipping place, the Gloria Church played an important role in the imperial period of Brazil, starting with the arrival of D. João VI in 1808.
Despite its imposing architectural style, the church building also conveys and almost austere simplicity. It has only three altars and three statues. The high altar is occupied by a statue of N.S.da Glória. There are two outstanding lateral pulpits. At the entrance there are two Portuguese limestone fonts from the 18th century.
The layout was innovative for the time, and consists of two interwined octagonal prisms, giving the church an almost round, singular appearance. It has only one tower, below which is a kind of porch, also having a admirable limestone doorway.